Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Dominican Vegan: Featuring some of my Living Food Dishes Part 1



A popular American dish served in diners are home-fries, sliced potatoes that are sauteed in pan, for breakfast. I made my own dinner version, which included yam home fries and a Caribbean style veggie fish. The veggie fish itself is made out of soy protein and I seasoned with my Caribbean spices.



This dish is my own adaptation of Caribbean and Indian/Chinese flavors all in one. The Chinese broccoli was flavored with sesame oil, among other spices. The tofu was cubed and flavored with curry. The rice and beans were made with herbs from the Caribbean.


A popular Dominican dish (from the Dominican Republic) is to cook the rice and beans together in a pot, seasoned with flavors. It is common to serve it with chicken, but my version includes veggie chicken, made of out soy protein. I cooked it Dominican style. The side dish is potato salad, which includes vegan mayonnaise providing texture.


Yucca is a root vegetable used by the Tainos in their diet. It is still widely used today. I boiled some yucca cut it into pieces, topped it with some soy butter, and added my own tofu scrambled with soy salami. Scrambled eggs with pieces of salami, green italian peppers, tomatoes, and red onion are common plates. I made my vegan version.


Inspired by the West Indies (Jamaica, Trinidad & Tobago, etc) whose foods are very similar to the Spanish Caribbean, I made curried potatoes with an Asian style sauteed broccoli, spinach, and carrot dish.


Perhaps one of the most popular Dominican dishes to Dominicans is the Mangu. A dish that's made by mashing the platanos with soy butter, topping it with fried red onions, and eating it with whatever meat or dairy product you want. I, of course, made it with sauteed tofu and some leftover beans. Yummy!


I love Mexican food and I am learning more about their unique historical dishes. One of my favorites is the guacamole side dish. I made my own. The chips you can also make them yourself out of corn flour, but I bought them at the store.


I am a vegan, who stopped cold water fish after deciding to obtain Omega 3's and other important brain nutrients from plant sources, like Flaxseed. However, if you still want to eat cold water fish, they are very important because of the Omega 3 oils, which is an important element for the brain. I cooked the veggie bacalao with some brown rice, and as side dishes aguacate sprinkled with lime juice and fried sweet plantains.


My own Caribbean lentil soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment